- Zinsser, W. How to Write a Memoir. 75 Vol. WASHINGTON: PHI BETA KAPPA SOC, 2006. [Week 1] Handout
- Ore, Ersula J. “Articulate while Black: Barack Obama, Language, and Race in the U.S., by Alim, H. Samy, & Smitherman, G.” Journal of Language, Identity & Education2 (2014): 124-7. [Week 2] Handout
- Graham, S., & Perin, D. (2007a). Writing next: Effective strategies to improve writing of adolescents in middle and high school. Washington, DC: Alliance for Excellent Education. [Week 3]
Common Books (Choose 1):
Please order at least one and read before June 27th.
- Lamott, Anne. Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life. 1st ed. New York: Pantheon Books, 1994. [Week 1]
- Zinsser, William. On Writing Well: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction. 25th anniversary, 1st HarperResource Quill ed. New York: Quill, 2001. [Week 2]
- Alim, H. S., & Smitherman, G. (2012). Articulate while black: Barack Obama, language, and race in the U.S. New York: Oxford University Press. [Week 2]
- Nagin, Carl, and National Writing Project (U.S.). Because Writing Matters: Improving Student Writing in our Schools. Rev. and updated. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2006. [Week 3]
Individual & Small Group Readings
In addition to the common readings, each Reading and Teaching Demonstration Group may choose to inquire into a shared question each week, reading the same articles or dividing up a list of readings and reporting out to each other as they prepare their Teaching Demonstration. Each participant will submit at least two annotated bibliography entries to our collaborative bibliography for the summer.